Holy crap. I haven’t posted in like 50 years. So what gets me up here again? A stinkin’ meme. Here goes:
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Nog, by a mile.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Back in the day, Santa didn’t wrap presents. That way, we knew what was from Mom and Dad, and what was from the Big Man. So far, we haven’t had to make that distinction for Emily, but I think this is the year we do.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Colored LEDs on the tree. Super bright, and no hot bulbs. Nothing on the house this year. I bought clips and I have white lights, but I’m so
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
5. When do you put your decorations up?
As soon as we can. This year, it was the first weekend in December. Liz is in charge of decorations. I’m “Nick’s Moving and Storage” and “Nick’s High Altitude Attachment Service”.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Liz’s pirogies on Christmas Eve.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
The year I found the Sega video game system that Santa was bringing us. My brother and I took it out, opened it very carefully, hooked it up and played with it. Then, we packed it back up and put it away before my parents got home. Then, a few nights later, my brother was at a Penance service with my mom, and he cracked. From that point on, not such a good memory. 😉
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
For the life of me, I cannot remember.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
My wife’s family and my family do it differently. So, as a couple, we split the difference. We have presents on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
No, seriously, I hate decorating the tree. I like cutting down the tree, I like setting up the tree. I’ll even string lights. Ornaments? Tedious. Garland? Next. Tinsel? Hey, you can vacuum it up.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it. Bought a Subaru just so I could conquer it all vehicular-like.
12. Can you ice skate?
Yep. Can even play hockey. Just don’t ask me to.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Aforementioned Sega. I still play it now and then.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
The three R’s: Rest, Relaxation, and Relatives.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Tie: Cookies and gingerbread. And no, that doesn’t mean gingerbread cookies are like a gastronomic orgasm. Good gingerbread transcends gingerbread cookies.
16. What tops your tree?
An angel. Stars are for weenies.
17. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
I thought this was a Christmas meme.
18. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
3-way tie (all links to iTunes):
1) “Have a Holly Jolly Christmas” – Johnny Marks. Lately I’m all about the Marah version, big surprise.
2) “Christmastime is Here” – Vince Guaraldi
3) “New York is a Christmas Kind of Town” – Marah
19. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum??
20. What do you serve for Christmas dinner?
I would rather lick a frozen flagpole than host Christmas dinner. However, if I were to do such a thing, I would go with my wife’s family’s traditional Polish Christmas. Especially the fried fish. Yum!